This recipe got me all excited guys! So excited in fact, that I was whipping up a quiche for 3 different occasions this week alone. Yes, it’s that good.
- 3 cups flour
- 1 cup margarine
- ¼ cup iced water
- 2 cups plant-based cream
- 2 Tbsp chickpea flour
- 2 tsp plain white flour
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- ½ cup cashews
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 onion
- 2 hand full sweet cherry tomatoes
- 1 package of baby spinach (160g)
- For the crust mix the flour and the cold margarine (straight out of the fridge) using a mixer or a fork. When the mixture consist of dough crumbs that start to stick together add the ice water (without the ice cubes), mix it again and use your hands to form a ball. The dough is going to be sticky, that's ok. Pop it in the fridge.
- For the filling mix the plant-based cream (I used soy cream), the chickpea flour (you can make your own by blending dry chickpeas until you have a powder), the white flour, mustard, salt and pepper in a bowl and whisk until well combined.
- Add the cashews and garlic cloves to a blender or food processor and blitz until you have a crumbly, almost powdery (but starting to get sticky) consistency. Add the mixture to the bowl and mix well.
- Chop up the onion and the baby spinach. Fry the onion in a pan until it starts turning golden, then add the spinach and fry for another 2 minutes.
- Get the dough out of the fridge and use your fingers to press it into a greased baking tin. Make sure you work the dough up the sides and the layer is even and roughly the same thickness everywhere. If you are using a small baking tin you might have to divide everything into two tins.
- The next step is optional. For a crispy quiche crust bake the crust without the filling for 15 to 20 minutes. Use ceramic baking beans or dried beans or rice to fill the crust so it keeps the shape.
- Otherwise just fill the unbaked crust with the onions, spinach, halved cherry tomatoes and cream mixture (I like to layer the veg and pour the cream mixture in between each layer). Bake it at 175˚C in a pre-heated oven for 50 minutes or until the top turns golden brown. Enjoy!