These chocolate molten lava cakes are such an indulgent treat! Perfect for a special occasion, yet easy enough for every day.
4 ounces semisweet baking chocolate, chopped
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature, plus more for greasing custard cups
2 tablespoons sugar, plus more for the custard cups
2 large eggs
1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
1. First, preheat the oven to 425°F and grease two 6 to 8-ounce custard cups generously with butter. You'll probably use about half a tablespoon of butter in each cup.
2. Put a small spoonful of sugar in each cup, then turn the cup sideways and rotate it so that the sugar is coating the butter all around. Dump out any excess.
3. Next, put the chopped chocolate in a microwave-safe bowl.
4. Microwave on high in 30 second intervals, taking it out to stir between each interval. It should be completely melted in about a minute.
5. Cut the room temperature butter into cubes, and combine the butter and sugar in a medium mixing bowl.
6. Cream together the butter and sugar using an electric mixer.
7. Add two eggs.
8. Beat with the electric mixer until everything is combined and the mixture is starting to foam, about a minute.
9. Add the flour and salt.
10. Beat with the electric mixer just to combine everything.
11. Add 1/3 of the melted chocolate, and gently fold it into the batter with a rubber spatula.
12. Add the rest of the chocolate mixture and gently fold everything together until it's combined, with no streaks.
13. Divide the batter evenly between the two greased custard cups.
14. The cups shouldn't be more than 3/4 full.
15. Put them in the oven and bake them JUST until the tops are set and the edges of the cake start to pull away from the cup slightly, about 11 minutes.
16. They'll look like this when they're done. Let them sit for 5 minutes when they come out of the oven.
17. After 5 minutes, flip each cup upside-down onto a dessert plate.
18. Tap the bottom of the cup with the palm of your hand. You don't have to SMACK it, but don't be too gentle, either. The cake will gently fall out.
20. Serve immediately. Garnish with whatever your valentine loves most: whipped cream, ice cream, chocolate syrup, berries, or just some simple powdered sugar.